Re: sparc sun4c support - time to drop it?

On 5/5/12 9:21 AM, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
Is anyone having any sun4c boxes alive and running Linux?

I have a nice box myself that does not boot - I do not know why.
But we are talking abot slow and old stuff here.

Is it time to drop support for sun4c - or is anyone still
having an interest keeping that platform alive?
I do.

I collect the Sun lunchbox systems (IPC, IPX, Classic, Classic/X and LX), which includes sun4c machines. I run Linux and *BSD on them. But the Linux that I am running on them is pretty old.

I have interest in keeping the platform alive, but my day job (Solaris kernel developer at Oracle) prevents me from working on the platform.

alan

Looking into recent history of the kernel only one person
(Mark - copied) seems to have contributed
solely for the purpose of getting a sun4c box working.

Sunstuff has a list of boxes based on sun4c here:
http://sunstuff.org/hardware/systems/sun4/sun4c/

SPARCstation 1, SLC, IPC, 1+, 2, ELC, IPX
SPARCengine 1

	Sam