Re: Bleeding edge kernel booted on SPARC Classic (32bit/sun4m/v8/50Mhz/96MB RAM)

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 19:40, Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Some time ago I brought a SPARC Classic on ebay and
> this holiday I found some time to play around with it.

Snap! I have a SS LX, which is essentially a classic called "LX".

> I got the bleeding edge kernel booting on the box
> and no hicups in the process.
> [Lots of smaller issues getting netboot working etc.
> but thats another story].

Good work!

I'm having trouble getting my box to even netboot - the last time I
tried it (years ago) it wouldn't attempt to either net or disk boot.

> For now it is net booted and runs Linux only in a small
> RAM disk. I want to keep Solaris around until I have
> captued relevant info (prtconf etc).
>
> I have used buildroot as the base and userspace is
> only busybox for now - as it fits in my RAM disk.

I'll give this a go with my SS10s when I get them out next, and see what's what.

> I will try with regular intervals to boot bleeding edge
> kernels on this box to catch any regressions.
> I can assist in minimal testing of SPARC32 stuff,
> so just let me know if there is anything to look at.

If I can get it all running, I'll do the same.

Thanks,

--
Julian Calaby

Email: julian.calaby@xxxxxxxxx