Re: phandle patch review?

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Andres Salomon <dilinger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 14:59:53 -0700
> Andres Salomon <dilinger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 05:39:59 +0900
>> Grant Likely <grant.likely@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Did the phandle -> types.h issues get sorted out?  I can't remember.
>>
>> The relevant thread was here:
>> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/140991/
>>
>> I found Sam's initial comment unclear, so I asked for clarification
>> (specifying that we didn't need phandle to be exported to userspace);
>> his response was:
>>
>> "So the above looks good considerign that userspace
>> so far does not require ihanlde/phandle."
>>
>> I left it open-ended regarding whether or not userspace might want
>> phandle/ihandle to be exported (that's more a question for you
>> flat devicetree folks :) , but for my purposes not having it exposed
>> to userspace is just fine.
>

> So yeah, please let me know if there's anything outstanding that I
> missed that would keep the patches from getting merged.

Okay, I'm confused.  As you say, asm/openprom.h is exported.  None of
openprom.h is protect with __KERNEL__, so all of it gets exposed to
userspace.  You're patch adds phandle to the __KERNEL__ protected
section of types.h, which means that it is unavailable to userspace.
In which case anything from userspace including asm/openprom.h will
fail to compile, or am I missing something?

g.