Re: Userspace process crashes with PREEMPT

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010, David Miller wrote:

> From: Mikulas Patocka <mpatocka@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 14:46:39 -0400 (EDT)
>
> > If you can't interpret it --- there happened sparc+sparc64 -> sparc merge
> > between this and it looks like a probable cause. Could you give me your
> > git tree with linear commits that I could try?
>
> I rebase my tree every time the merge window completes, so
> I can't give that to you, sorry.
>
> But you don't need my tree from back then, you can git bisect between
> the commits on my line of development branch when Linus pulled my tree
> in.
>
> And even my original tree was linear, I would pull Linus's tree in now
> and again to deal with merge conflicts and similar.

I assume that there was some commit ID in your tree when you started to do
sparc+sparc64 unification and there was some commit ID when you finished
it. So give me these two and I hope git will go linearly between them.

> Anyways, all the information is there, you just need to give GIT the
> properl commit ranges.
>
> BTW, if you're so disappointed about how it walks the graph during git
> bisect, feel free to suggest alternatives to the GIT developers.  I
> think they considered long and hard about this, and therefore the
> current behavior isn't arbitrary :-)

If you understand git better than me, please explain to me how to
interpret bisect result --- i.e. I sent a list of commit IDs that are
result of bisecting, so tell me which fixed the bug and how did you find
it.

Mikulas