Re: Checking for v9v/64v capability

From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 01:06:26 +0100 (CET)

> But how would the package manager (apt-get/yum/zypper) decide whether
> they are on sun4v or not, without resorting to testing for
> SPARC-specific hardware itself? That is to say, I think the kernel
> should hand out this information in some way perhaps. Solaris's uname(2)
> syscall would directly return sun4[cduv], while Linux just outputs
> sparc/sparc64.

The kernel sets elf feature flags in the new processes's
stack frame upon execution.

This is how glibc decides which special directories to look
for shared libraries (/lib/v9v, /lib/ultra3, etc.)

RPM could query these flags as well.

Debian does the right thing already FWIW :-)

BTW, did you ever resolve the 64-bit stat() issue?  Was it
a bum build of Fedora's sparc64 glibc?   Also, why are you
building 64-bit binaries?  Just for testing?  For general
use doing 32-bit binaries is much more efficient even on
sparc64 systems.