Re: configs

From: Paul Thomas <pthomas8589@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 09:09:29 -0700

> I'm new to the sparc architecture (I'm used to arm), I don't even have
> any sparc hardware yet. But I'm curious enough about the opensparc
> processors that I pulled the sparc-2.6 git tree. First I did a "make
> ARCH=sparc sparc64_defconfig" and then "make ARCH=sparc xconfig". This
> all works fine, but I'm confused about how the configurations work. In
> the arm branch there is both selection of the "ARM system type" and a
> specific board selection after that. I guess the sparc processors are
> different in that they don't have all of the peripherals that arm
> processors have.
>
> So my question is, what are the configuration options for the 3 main
> features (memory controller, pcie & XAUI) of the T2 processor. The
> only memory controller I see is the "UltraSPARC-III Memory Controller
> driver" is that the same for the T2? I don't see any pcie
> configuration options, but there is the drivers/pci/pcie directory. Is
> the pcie driver built-in by default? In the "Ethernet (10000 Mbit)"
> section the Sun Neptune is checked, but it looks like the Neptune is a
> standalone pcie card. Is that the driver for the XAUI interfaces on
> the T2?

Unlike ARM we don't have such a plethora of platform system devices
and other oddities.

The DMA is very generic and consistent across all system types, as
is the interrupt architecture.

So all you need to do really is enable the PCI devices found on your
system.  The rest you'll get by default.

There is no specific memory controller driver for T2, memory errors
(both correctable and uncorrectable) are sent by the hypervisor as an
interrupt packet to the guest cpu.  Only the hypervisor actually
accesses the memory controller and the fault registers.  It's all
virtualized from Linux's perspective.