Re: SILO problems

David Miller wrote:
From: Matt Cole <mikaey@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 20:29:14 -0600

David and Tom, one of the problems I've noticed is that, with having
the boot partition start on cylinder 0, that creating anything on
that partition results in overwriting the disklabel.  David, I
noticed your fdisk readout has your boot partition starting on
cylinder 0, is this just a dummy partition?  Or how did you get
around this problem?

Most filesystems do not write their superblock into the initial
bytes of the partition, they leave it alone.

You can't put things like RAID and swap partitions there, because
those will in fact zap out your boot block and disk label.

Well I'll be damned...so you're right. But still no luck. I'm wondering if there's a deeper problem...you'd think if it was a problem with the first stage loader trying to find the second stage loader, I'd at least see the "S" printed, but I get nothing. It would appear it's trying to execute something, however, because if I do Stop+A and issue any sort of "boot" command, it reboots the machine. You don't suppose any of it would have to do that I downloaded the pre-compiled loaders, instead of compiling them from source? (I tried, the second stage loader won't compile on my machine for some reason)

Thanks,
Matt Cole