Re: hang on panic, can not return to OBP

From: Meelis Roos <mroos@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 16:07:14 +0200 (EET)

> First, why tell the user to press Stop-A or break at all? Is it because
> we can extract information from Break-T, Break-P etc? Otherwise the
> panic code could drop to prom itself?

You might want to hit SysRQ-something to extract information,
remount root read-only, unmount all partitions, force another
sync, etc. before dropping to the prom.

> I tried the following patch and that did not work - probably because of
> the same reason that Break did not work (interrupts off?). Seems the
> local_irq_enable() is not enough - but what could help here? Is
> prom_halt() the right thing? ... Kad a look of waht Stop-A does, tried
> also the second patch... but if it would have worked, Stop-A wouldb
> prpbaly also have.
>
> This patch is of course not even close to merging, it's just a hack to
> try it out.

What kind of console are you on?

For serial consoles, you have to send BREAK twice.

For traditional type4/5 serial keyboards, Stop-A should work.

For USB keyboard nothing is going to work, sorry.

PROM console will also not work for fetching input and
breaking into the firmware.