Re: soft lockup in 2.6.26-rc1+git, on Fire V100

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Meelis Roos wrote:

> Tried 2.6.27-rc3 + yesterdays git that works on my Ultra5, still hangs
> in USB startup on V100.
>
> Then I tried the suggestion to instrument ohci_hub_status_data() with
> printks around spin_lock_irqsave() and return. Tried this with git HEAD
> and this time ohci_hub_status_data seemed to be not reached at all, so
> it hangs in USB code in slightly different place than in the original
> trace.
>
> By the way, David - Sysrq-T and Sysrq-P do not seem to work in latest
> git form me for some reason, from serial console. So no new trace.
>
> Will check the kernel debugging options with working U5 config to look
> for any suspicios diffences there.
>
> What should I do next - probably go back to the original revision and
> instrument ohci_hub_status_data() there?

You should stick with a single well-defined kernel version, like
2.6.27-rc3.  Start by seeing what happens with ohci_hub_status_data and
move on from there.

You might also want to instrument usb_hcd_poll_rh_status() in
drivers/usb/core/hcd.c; that routine should call ohci_hub_status_data()
and it should be called by usb_add_hcd().

Alan Stern