Re: unkillable dpkg-query processes

From: Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 01:47:33 +0100

> > 	mount -t devpts none /dev/pts
>
> mount --bind /dev /thechroot/dev
> is what I use here, running udev in a chroot is no fun.

Ok.

> I'm almost done with a howto which is cut&paste for 95% to debootstrap
> and boot a debian system, unfortunately it doesn't boot as the klibc
> (which is used in the initramfs) is broken on sparc again...
> So I'll modify it to setup a proper chroot only, it should also allow to
> boot into it if you use the Kernel/initrd form Ubuntu.
> This should allow Josip and you to setup a complete chroot.

Thanks.

> > I have done a GCC package build and am now running a libc6 build under
> > this lenny chroot and haven't hit any problems yet.
>
> The following things also like to crash here (on Etch, not in a chroot):
> - running aptitude -u several times (at least with libnss-db installed)
> - since I've installed 2.6.24-rc1: vgdisplay (with and without active
> libnss-db)

There are several issues with 2.6.24, stay away from it for now.
I will fix things there.

Let's stick to 2.6.23 testing for pinpointing these bugs.

> there're some comparisons of the strace of aptitude -u in
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=433187#102
> Probably interesting as there're futexes in the game.

Of course there are, as soon as you start using libnss-db there
will be futexes.

Can you reproduce the aptitute problems under 2.6.23 with libnss-db
disabled?

> The interesting thing is that it didn't crash the machine while running
> under strace.

If the futex problem I suspect is in fact the issue, strace'ing
would definitely make that problem go away.
-