Re: serial console

Hi

On Sun, 21 May 2006, David S. Miller wrote:

> Why does booting with the "-p" option not work?
> That uses the PROM as the output console just like
> your patch does.

I believe testing -p was where I placed
 if (serial_console==0)
before
 conswitchp = &(dummy_con/prom_con)

The result of testing -p which led to this was the console (wyse 150
as vt100) tried to do some sort of mode change / clear screen then
fill a screen buffer with blanks (?) then sit inertly at top left
corner. The prom_printf's I have been adding to track down troubles
did not show.

I could not determine if this was something to do with frame buffer or
virtual terminal, but it interfered with prom_printf. I do have
virtual terminals enabled for use with telnet / rlogin from
un-beheaded boxes when it boots and have found no way to turn off the
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE if CONFIG_VT is set (editing .config doesn't).

With the patch I get prom_printf's and printk's
Without the patch I get prom_printf only
And yes with -p I get nothing (I am sorry, once I got printk's on the
screen I did not go back and test the -p so I don't know what it does
after the patch).

I would not mind testing patches that attempt to do this "right"

Thanx
  Ray

-