Re: niagara kernel boot problems

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006, David S. Miller wrote:

> From: Brad Roberts <braddr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 22:40:41 -0700 (PDT)
>
> > I just got a t2000 from sun as part of their try/buy program partially due
> > to the news about the successful linux bootup.  I've got to admit that I'm
> > an extreme newbie to sun hardware and rather than learn my way around
> > solaris I want to stick in the warm comfy zone of linux and debian-based
> > distributions.
> >
> > In the process of booting, I'm hitting a problem:
> > Can anyone shine some light or point me at what I failed to find through
> > the usually rather trusty google?  Up to now, I've really only ever delt
> > with x86 hardware.
>
> Where in the world did you get the kernel from?
>
> Nothing debian currently ships will work, Ubuntu (which is debian
> based) does work, so please try the current Dapper Drake sparc install
> images.

Right.. I'm using the ubuntu kernel from here:

http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/dists/dapper/main/installer-sparc/current/images/sparc64/netboot/2.6/boot.img

Notice the line:

[    0.000000] Linux version 2.6.15-20-sparc64 (buildd@artigas) (gcc version 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu3)) #1 Tue Apr 4 17:55:03 UTC 2006

from the boot.