Re: Recording specific channels

"Michael Cottle, (David)" <D.Cottle@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I apologize if this is the incorrect forum for a basic question. I’ve spent
> about two hours searching for an answer.
>
> I need to record specific channels from a multi-channel interface. (Several
> versions of Scarlett and Focusrite preamps).
>
> I can record all channels using rec test.aif, and I can record the first two
> channels with rec -c 2 test.aif. But I don’t see how to record channels 3
> and 4.

Audio interfaces such as the Focusrite typically always send all
channels to the host system.  If you want a subset of channels that
can't be requested from the hardware, and this is the case here, you
need to use the 'remix' effect to pick the channels you want.

Using the -c flag with the output file is equivalent to using the
'channels' effect which is probably not what you want here.

> I’m on OS X (therefore Terminal, Unix). I’ve tried hw:n,n, as suggested on
> some sites, but I don’t know what those numbers mean, and it returns an
> error.

That's for use with ALSA drivers on Linux.  Ignore it.

--
Måns Rullgård