Re: Convert multichannel raw file to wav

On Apr 21 20:45:20, rodolfo.medina@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm converting to wav format a raw file that comes from this:
>  $ pacat --record -d alsa_input.usb-BEHRINGER_UMC404HD_192k-00.analog-surround-40 > dump.raw

Do you know what format the Behringer uses,
and what format pacat uses when writing the raw file?

If so, just pass that as an input format to sox,
and convert to whatever you want.

> because it's the result of a three-microphone live recording using my
> four-channel Behringer audio interface. I expect the result to be a
> three-channel file:

Why do you expect that? Why don't you specify any format
when recording?  Why are you recording three streams
into a raw file in the first place?

> what will the right sox command be?

sox -t raw -r ... -e ... -b ... -c ... file.raw file.wav
(putting in the actual values of course)

> The following:
>  $ sox -t raw -r 44100 -e signed-integer -L -b 16 -c 2 dump.raw output.wav
> produces a two-channel file: please help.

You are telling SoX that the raw input is a two channel file. Why?
(Given that, SoX also produces a two channel wav output, as expected.)

> Instead, if I record with:
>  $ sox -t alsa hw:2,0 output.wav
> I get a four-channel file.

Recording on a four track device, you get a four channel wav file.
Isn't that what you want?

> But I'd prefer using pacat.

Why?

It is quite possible that the raw file pacat has produced
is actualy a four channel file. But why don't you specify
the output format explicitly, and why don't you record
a wav file to begin with, if that's what you want?

	Jan