Re: SOX General question

I suspect Peter hit the nail on the head, providing context.

The Sox manual, in UNIX man-page format, is probably the hardest to read man-page I've read, in over 40 years as a software engineer.  Yet I couldn't write a better one.  It's a problem caused by the complexity of SoX plus the approach of a man-page, especially when what you need isn't a reference but a tutorial.

Consider googling for a "SOX tutorial", which will help you get started.  Also, when I have trouble figuring out a particular use case, I google for "how to do XXX with sox" and usually find a lot of helpful examples, and after some study I can then understand the related reference manual entries.

It is tricky to get started, but if you have an audio process that you want to do repeatedly or especially from a script, there's nothing better -- nothing I know of that even comes close.

But, for simple things like converting audio formats, I use dBPowerAmp Music Converter, which has a small fee for MP3 converters (with a free trial.)  It has a GUI or you can just right-click on any supported audio format and click "Convert".  It has a batch mode as well.  dBpoweramp Music Converter - mp3 converter, FLAC, WAV, AAC & Apple Losslesss. Free 21 day trial, download & convert  I've been using this for about 20 years now.

Jeff