Re: discrepancy between sox and ffmpeg when extracting parts of flac file

OK, some additional info that should have been posted right away:

system: Gentoo Linux version 6.1.12
ffmpeg: 4.4.3
sox:    14.4.2_p20210509-r2
dr14_tmeter: 2.0.0

T04.flac and A.flac are indeed the same file, I forgot to adjust
the name in my original post.

B.flac has size 147,664,506, C.flac has been deleted but was in the
region of 160,000,000.

Re-encoding C.flac (sox C.flac CC.flac) results in a file almost the
same size as B.flac with the same dynamic range as B.flac, and gives
the error message: "sox WARN flac: decoder MD5 checksum mismatch."
So something's fishy about C.flac, but the gain in dynamic range was intriguing.

A.flac had been extracted from A.mkv by means of ffmpeg; I don't think sox can do that.  I needed A.flac to determine the splitting points (using audacity).  Now that I know the splitting points, I'll try to extract C.flac directly from A.mkv using ffmpeg.  As far as I
know, I cannot do that with sox, though.  However, I need to re-create A.mkv first, unfortunately under windows :-( Maybe tomorrow.