How to change the bitrate (kbps) of an MP3 file?

I have an MP3 file that was recorded with a sample rate of 44100Hz
and a bitrate of 64kbps.
I would like to convert it to have a bitrate of 32kbps
(mostly to save space, since a 32kbps file is half the size
of a 64kbps file, all other factors being equal).

I initially thought that "-b" might be the correct option,
but that's used to specify the "bit-depth"
(which is something else altogether,
and is not allowed anyway for output MP3 files).

So, would someone please mention the correct command syntax to use
for specifying that an output MP3 file will be written in 32kbps.

Thanks for your help.