Re: "norm" effect causes intermittent truncation of MP3 output.

If you run the same batch of files two times using -R, do you get the same pattern of truncations both times?

  Dave Graff

From: Scott Temby <scottt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, June 17, 2021 at 10:03 AM
To: "sox-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sox-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [SoX-users] "norm" effect causes intermittent truncation of MP3 output.

Hi,

When using "sox.exe <source_file>.wav -C 192.01 <destination_file>.mp3 norm" I've found the output is occasionally truncated (shorter duration than the input, but matches up to that point).

I've tried this on a few systems, and while the fault is intermittent (not linked to any particular input file or condition), it does repeatedly occur (a few times in a "batch"). Immediately re-processing the same input files often yields success, or at least, failures on different files. I've also tried -C 192.2 to see if that was the issue, and it is not. removing "norm" solves the problem, and I can reliably encode thousands of files without truncation.

Hopefully there's an easy fix, if not, at least you are now aware of the issue.

Regards,

Scott