Re: new user trying to set up a processing chain

Hi Jeremy, You're correct, I didn't give enough information.
I'm using Windows 10. I'm not at a very proficient level with
scripting. I see the potential of it, but am not confident with a
scripting language yet. I'm assuming batch script would be fine for my
needs, but right now I'm just trying to learn some basics, so that I
have a better idea of what I'll be scripting when I get there.

I totally understand what you're saying about making sure the
processing is easy to follow and adjust, rather than trying to make it
run as efficiently as possible. I tend to agree with that mindset, but
I feel like there's a line between an easy-to-follow way, and a way
that's hacked together because you don't understand the basic tools
which make certain things a hundred times easier. I sometimes feel
like I'm on the wrong side of that, So I'm a bit paranoid that I'm
doing things in a stupid way haha

A simple example follows. Not sure if I'd actually use this, I was
just trying to think of a situation which illustrates my
uncertainties.
Step 1. I have a file called test.wav and I want to pitch shift it.
sox test.wav temp.wav pitch -500
Step 2. Then I should mix the pitch shift copy with the original, and
apply reverb to the mix.
sox -m test.wav temp.wav test_processed.wav reverb

File/directory structure should be simple. Basically, the original
file and the _processed version should be in the same folder, at least
for now. Temp.wav is not needed. It would be useful to hear
intermediate results, but assuming I don't need to check those, I
really don't need it.

So my question is twofold. Is it common practice to launch sox once
for some processing and then again for other stuff? I know you can
chain effects in one sox instance, but mixing is not an effect as I
understand, which is why I came to the conclusion that you needed to
use a separate instance for mixing. But for all I know, I'm missing
something. Secondly, is it a good idea to use a temporary output file
on the hard drive as I have done for intermediate processing steps?