Re: Combine and trim files with silence

Hi Jan,
Thus said Jan Stary <hans@xxxxxxxx> on Sat, 18 Apr 2020 11:28:12 +0200
On Apr 17 22:11:00, jungleboogie0@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I'm using SoX v14.4.2 and would like help mixing three files, with silence
in between two of them.

With silence in between, you probably mean to concatenate them,
not to "mix" them.

Yes, that's probably the correct term.

Ah, so the three files are

1. short_track
2. main_file
3. long track

in that order?

Yes, in that order. short_track will have the 1/2 second silence after the audible part plays.

In short, you mail is a mess. Tell us what you you need to do _and_why_.
Be as specific as possible. Don't talk about "the longest file" without
showing the lengths, or "a specific file" without naming it, etc.

short_track plays the audible part, then plays 1.5 seconds of silence.
main_file plays simultaneously while long_track plays; long_track is several decidable quieter (that's adjusted outside of this sox command I want to solve) and trimmed to the length of mainfile.

short track -> silence -> mainfile & long track (which is trimmed to length of long track).

Long track should be trimmed to the length of mainfile, which my trim 0 `soxi -D mainfile` did.

Trimming a file to another file's length is easy:
sox third.wav trimmed.wav trim 0 `soxi -D prototype.wav`
soxi -D prototype.wav third.wav trimmed.wav

To concatenating three files, with silence between (say) first and second,
just pad the first with silence first:

sox first.wav padded.wav pad 0 1.5
soxi -D first.wav padded.wav

But this means I need to trim longfile separately, right?

Then just contatenate them:

sox padded.wav second.wav trimmed.wav out.wav
soxi -D padded.wav second.wav trimmed.wav out.wav
rm -rf padded.wav trimmed.wav

I hope I haven't made things more muddy.

In summary...

first plays

1/2 seconds of silence

mainfile & longfile play, long file trimmed to length of mainfile.

Mikko had an idea of adding 1/2 of silence to mainfile before the mix and trim thing.

sox mainfile mainfile_padded.wav pad 1.5 0

sox -m shortfile mainfile_padded.wav long_file out.wav trim 0 `soxi -D mainfile_padded.wav`

It would be great if I didn't have to the extra step of adding silence to the main_file first, though.