Re: Wav to Mp3 leads to an mp3 file that has a longer duration

If those are your requirements why dont you just stick to mp3? If your additional requirements would be that 1) audio quality perception remains OK and 2) number of samples remains intact then I believe that solution is nonexisting. You must relax either compression or quality requirement. My reasoning is as follows: you have a lot of samples in the original audio. If you have all those samples (in any reasonable format) in the output file you have large file again i.e. dont have much compression. In other words, if you want compression you must do more drastic processing e.g. transform the signal from "time domain" to "frequency domain" like mp3 does as far as I know. After such compression there is no any meaningful concept of a "sample" anymore. Thus you can not require that number of samples matches. The fact that sox reports number of samples for mp3 does not change this fact (maybe it should not report number of samples but some concept of a block mp3 uses). I believe that additional difficulty (e.g. the discrepancy you observed when you trimmed your signal) arises from aspects discussed in the sox manual section "Accuracy". regards, Mikko