Re: basic help with SoX on windows 10

On 2019-10-29 08:56, Nils Wallgren wrote:
Hi, I am new to SoX and can’t really figure out how to understand
where things save. I ran this in my command prompt in windows

 sox -t waveaudio -d new-file.wav

It's like other commands in Windows; if you don't specify a fully
pathed filename then it uses whatever Windows thinks is the current
working directory.

It's far better to be specific, eg

   sox -t waveaudio -d "C:\this\that\other\new-file.wav"

Most intructions seems to be on Os  and it is quite hard to find
instructions of the basics for windows.

You can get the PDF manual for sox (and soxi, which can also be
useful) at

  http://sox.sourceforge.net/Docs/Documentation

You don't have to read the whole manual - ie you don't need to read
about all the different effects, but you do need to understand the
basic command syntax and the information about how sox goes about
doing things.  I'd suggest you start by reading the first 14 pages
or so.

I don't know what you mean by "on Os".

Most (all?) of the examples will work as shown, on Windows.

Do I have to type sox before anything I want to do with sox in the
command prompt? How do I start a recording and stop it?

Typing the sox command starts sox, either to make a recording, or
(if that's already been done and you tell it to process a existing
file) to start doing things to that file.

See "Stopping sox" on p6 of the manual.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own