recording from firewire interfaces on MacOS?

Does anyone have any experience using SoX to record from firewire interfaces on MacOS X? Searching the archives for “firewire” resulted in one post which mentioned a similar issue to what I am experiencing, however this post was from 2011 and there didn’t seem to be any resolution to the problem. In this case I have a Mobile I/O 2882 set as the system audio interface on a MacOS 10.12.6 system with sox-14.4.2, and although the interface has 18 inputs (with two channels enabled for sending audio to DAWs via coreaudio, which do show up in both Logic and ProTools), SoX only appears to see it as a 1-channel interface and at 32 bits (instead of 24) as other hosts see it:

Input File     : 'default' (coreaudio)
Channels       : 1
Sample Rate    : 44100
Precision      : 32-bit
Sample Encoding: 32-bit Signed Integer PCM

And attempting to record a stereo file from this results in an error of “WARN formats: can't set 2 channels; using 1” and a file only containing clicks and silence. I’ve tried setting the firewire interface as the system-default input device in the system preferences as well as naming it specifically using the “ −t coreaudio “ option (as found in Output and Input tabs of the System Preferences->Sound menu), but not yet had any success. Based on the list archives it doesn’t seem like firewire interfaces are commonly used with SoX, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice on where to look next.