Re: concat problem

Glenn English <ghe2001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Debian Jessie, Supermicro box, SoX 14.4.1, SoX noob.
>
> I ask SoX to concatenate AIFFs, and Mac Air stops at the end of first file.

Can you play the file back with the "play(1)" command in sox on
Jessie?

Or try converting from AIFF back to mp3, flac, or whatever else
and see if the Mac can play that...

> I've written a Python script (first use of SoX) to concat a lot of
> translated MP3s into a big AIFF file. The translation goes fine, and
> SoX creates a huge AIFF, but there seems to be an EOF in there at the
> end of the first file. Actually a little before the end of the first
> file. The Air has been playing files (VLC) for several years with no
> problems.

Any other players you can try?  I don't have much experience
with VLC and have never used a Mac.

> I give SoX a long list of AIFF source files and a destination file
> name at the end. The MP3s have been successfully translated to AIFFs
> earlier with a format conversion pass through SoX.
>
> What am I missing?

Any chance you're hitting a file size limit somewhere?  I'm not
familiar with AIFF, but FLAC supports large files and is lossless, too;
perhaps try that...

What's the exact command?

Can you reproduce the problem with smaller initial AIFF source
files?

Instead of using the entire long list of AIFF source files, can
you try only concatenating two of them and see if that's
successful.  (And then move onto 3 files, and 4 files, and so
on...)

Thanks.