Re: Recording Stereo Mix and Microphone at the same time

On Apr 24 14:15:55, dvidakovic123@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm trying to record both sources at the same time into a single file. Is
> this possible with Sox? If not, does anyone have any ideas or best
> practices to achieve this?

If all the inputs are different channels of the same audio device,
than this is no different than recording any other number of channels
from a single device. But that's probably not what you have.
Is the (mono?) mic connected through one audio card
and the "stereo mix" (a line-in from somewhere?) through another?

I assume you want to record both at the same time, synchronized
(such as a vocal or a solo over a mix of the instrumental tracks).
Or you want to play the stereo mix as an accompaniment and record the mic,
synchronized to the accompaniment (overdubbing).

It is more the underlying audio system's work to do this,
i.e. to warant the synchronization. For example, OpenBSD's sndio
subsystem is very good at this; e.g.

	aucat -i backing.wav -o solo.wav

will play backing.wav as an input and record solo.wav as an output,
with sample-precision. SoX is probably not the best tool for this.

	Jan