Re: split stereo by channel and silence

On 2017-06-27 15:23, Jon Nichols wrote:
i hadn't thought it all the way through like you have so that does help
some thanks, this will end up a script for multiple files, but currently
i'm just playing with one. I did tried to split by silence first but
background noise on the left channel(mostly left, might have been the
combined noise some too) made it so there was only 3 files...

You maybe need to start by using stat or stats to find things out about sound levels in the files. I'm sure in the past I ran some code that chopped a long file into (shall we say) a series of 5-second mini files, then ran stat/stats on each one, to build up a picture of levels all the way through
the thing.

If background noise is a problem I think you need to clean that up first, perhaps splitting the channels then cleaning them, then perhaps compressing
them (ie reducing dynamic range) - I'm not sure - then joining them back
into a stereo file.  Then again, increasing dynamic range might make the
split easier, even if you compress the audio again later.

Do you actually have stereo, or double mono? Can any of the sound of the
person on left channel be heard on right channel, and vice versa?

another thing i just thought of, is it possible to split on the silence of
just 1 channel while the file is still stereo?

Don't know... but even if it's not, you could split the whole file into L & R then split L into L fragments, and R into R fragments, and doing that you'd find out (from the sizes/lengths of each fragment) where each channel's split points were. You could then (though I don't see how it would help) merge those two lists of split points into one list and apply those to the original stereo
file.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own