Re: Recording Stereo Mix and Microphone at the same time

> Dino wrote:

> I'm trying to record both sources at the same time into a single
> file. Is this possible with Sox? If not, does anyone have any
> ideas or best practices to achieve this?

Do you have three channels of DAC (digital to analog conversion).
A typical sound card will only have two.  Unless you have a card
or interface with more, the only possible way to do it is to mix
the stereo to mono with external hardware (2 resistors) and then
have one channel the mic and the other as the now mono mix.

If you have enough DACs to do three tracks at once, then SoX
should be able to accommodate.

A third option is to record the two sources an different times.
That is, record the stereo, then play back the stereo and record
the mic. This is called "over-dubbing".  SoX is not well suited to
this type of work.  I would recommend ecasound, a command-line
multi-track audio editor.  It is not as versatile as SoX, but it
better suited to multi-track DAW (digital audio workstation) task.