Re: normalize across multiple files in one go?

> Peter wrote:

> I am trying to normalize multiple files while keeping their
> relative levels intact. Is there a way to do this with SoX in
> one call?

Hmmm.  I don't think in one call.

> How could it be done with multiple calls (eg. analyze first,
> then raise gain of all files)?

Idea 1.
wavegain can do this sort of batch process.  It calls in "album" mode -
but it is not "normalizing", rather it is calculating replay-gain.

Idea 2.
You could use soxi (or the effect "stat" or "stats") to figure out
the value for each.

Idea 3.
If the files aren't too big, may concatenate them, then figure the
normalize value for the big file, the apply that amount of gain to
each of the pieces.

The details of the last two ideas are going to be system and/or
shell dependent.  Wavegain I know works on Linux, and may compile
to other platforms, but I don't know.