Re: SoX features

> Ivano wrote:
>
> I would like to know more about SoX, used with FFMPEG,
> ImageMagick and PovRay.
> Here are the questions:
>
> 1) Can a raster image be used as a sound? (maybe like a spectrum
> or so).

SoX is a sound tool.  You can force it to turn into sound any
series of bits.  Most of us would probably call any such file
"noise", not "sound".

SoX can be used to generate spectrum like images from sound...

> 2) Can it capture audio from a microphone?

Yes, if there is mic input hardware.

> 1) Can a video be used as a texture for a 3D surface?

Err.  I don't understand how sound can have a 3D surface.

> 1) Can it edit MIDI files?

No.  MIDI is NOT a sound file, it is a set of playing instructions
- like an old-fashioned player piano.

> 2) Can it manipulate MIDI files?

No.

> 3) Can it export MIDI files?

No.

> 4) Can it be used with a MIDI controller?

No.

Look at timidity and rosegarden for MIDI.

--  f