Sox recording to null of an audio loopback?

Aloha from Hawaii!

I'm using a Raspberry Pi and am trying to make an alarm kinda thing...

What I need to figure out how to do, and what I'm looking for help with is
to figure out how to make sox (using the rec command I believe) record into
a null file (meaning it doesn't really record, just goes through the
motions) until there's 5 seconds of silence...

Being that the Raspberry Pi doesn't have any kind of audio capture setup, I
was able to run a command that brought up a loopback audio device (that
command is "sudo modprobe snd-aloop")

Now, how can I give sox a command to record from the loopback until there's
5 seconds of audio, or should I be looking at a different way of checking if
the audio output of the raspberry pi has no sound?

Thanks!
--James