silence and vad usage clarification

Hi!
I'm quite new to sox. I did some Google searches but I didn't find
exactly what I'm looking for.
I'm trying to do the following:

1) wait until hear some voice
2) start recording 0.5s BEFORE the trigger
3) wait until find 2 whole seconds below a threshold
4) end recording 0.5s AFTER this trigger

For points 2 and 3 I first tried with silence:

rec audio.wav silence 1 5 10% 1 2t 10%

Well, it actually stops after 2 seconds from when the audio falls below
the threshold, not after two WHOLE seconds below it. It seems a
different behavior to me rather than the doc says
(http://sox.sourceforge.net/sox.html).
I mean if I insert 1 second of silence, than I speak again I don't
expect the end of recording.

For point 4) I can live with the -l option. Anyway, it would be nice to
keep a shorter duration of silence (different than below-duration).

For point 1) I tried with vad:

rec audio.wav vad -p 0.5

it works when used alone. But if I pipe with silence:

rec audio.wav vad -p 0.5 silence -l 0 1 2t 10%

it just stops after 2 seconds from the beginning of recording.
Also adding the above duration/threshold doesn't change anything:

rec audio.wav vad -p 0.5 silence -l 1 5 10% 1 2t 10%

Please, would you help me to better understand their behavior and how to
reach my goal?
Thanks in advance!
Mark