Powered by Linux
Re: [v2] ice: Fix freeing uninitialized pointers — Semantic Matching Tool

Re: [v2] ice: Fix freeing uninitialized pointers

>>> Automatically cleaned up pointers need to be initialized before exiting
>>> their scope.  In this case, they need to be initialized to NULL before
>>> any return statement.
>>
>> * May we expect that compilers should report that affected variables
>>   were only declared here instead of appropriately defined
>>   (despite of attempts for scope-based resource management)?
>>

> We disabled GCC's check for uninitialized variables a long time ago
> because it had too many false positives.

Can further case distinctions (and compilation parameters) become more helpful
according to the discussed handling of the attribute “__cleanup” (or “__free”)?

>> * Did you extend detection support in the source code analysis tool “Smatch”
>>   for a questionable implementation detail?
>
> Yes.  Smatch detects this as an uninitialized variable.

Does the corresponding warning indicate requirements for scope-based resource management?

Regards,
Markus