Powered by Linux
Smatch or Coccinelle for BPF static code analysis — Semantic Matching Tool

Smatch or Coccinelle for BPF static code analysis

Hi,

I'm looking for guidance on what would be the easiest/best choice for implementing malware detection rules on BPF source code (also looking at what can be done on ELF and bytecode but that's a separate question).

The majority of these rules will be looking at combinations of:
- Hook points used
- File names/paths
- Kernel structs like linux_dirent64
- Helper function calls like bpf_probe_write_user(), bpf_send_signal()

Both smatch and coccinelle seem to require a bit of learning curve (although the latter seem to have a more documentation/examples than the former) so your opinion would be highly appreciated.

This is for a personal research project, nothing related to the company I am working for.

Best regards
Laurent Philippart