Powered by Linux
smatch v1.71 released — Semantic Matching Tool

smatch v1.71 released

Intro:

Smatch is a C static checker with a lot of kernel specific checks.  You
can download it from:  http://repo.or.cz/w/smatch.git.  Or if you prefer
a github mirror, then you can download it from
https://github.com/error27/smatch

The last time I made a release was in 2015. https://lwn.net/Articles/629250/
There have been over two thousand patches to Smatch in the past six
years but it's hard to point to any one thing as standing out.  I guess,
one thing I'm happy about is that Smatch is now much better at tracking
user controlled data.  Another thing which I can mention that I re-wrote
check_locking.c and wrote a blog entry about it:
https://blogs.oracle.com/linux/writing-the-ultimate-locking-check

The uninitialized variable warning that I mentioned six years ago is
more important than ever now that we have disabled the GCC warning for
uninitialized variables.  I really suggest that people do add Smatch to
their QC process.  You don't have to have the full cross function
database built.  Just do:

	~/path/to/smatch/smatch_scripts/kchecker drivers/file.c

You could also just build a sub directory:

	~/path/to/smatch/smatch_scripts/kchecker drivers/subdir/

If you don't use Smatch, that's fine as well because kbuild bot will
catch it or I will catch it or someone else will.  But probably it saves
time for everyone if developers run it themselves.

Building the cross function database is also really useful.  The
~/path/to/smatch/smatch_data/db/smdb.py script is helpful to understand
how function pointers are called or where struct members are set.
Building the database takes a long time to run but it's simple to do:
~/path/to/smatch/smatch_scripts/build_kernel_data.sh
And to test the whole kernel the command is:
~/path/to/smatch/smatch_scripts/test_kernel.sh

This is kind of a weird release because it's been so long since the
previous release.  I'm hoping to do more regular releases with better
release notes.

regards,
dan carpenter