Powered by Linux
Re: sval_type_max() sadness — Semantic Matching Tool

Re: sval_type_max() sadness

Thanks for the test case!

Of course, the history here is that the Linux kernel doesn't have floats
so I never added support for it.  I have this friend who is an expert
on floats and people consult him when they are designing chips.  He was
explaining his work to me and I realized that I don't have the foggiest
clue how floats work at all...

Anyway, I've tried to add floats to Smatch.  It turned out not so hard
as I imagined, but I know there are places that I missed.  Probably it
changes from a false positive into a crashing bug now.  :/  The fix is
almost always going to be to run valgrind to see which function crashes
and then add a check:

	if (type_is_fp(estate_type(state)))
		return false;

Do a pull and take a look.  Tell me what you think.  I will hack on this
tomorrow as well.

regards,
can carpenter