Powered by Linux
Re: Smatch context checking feature ? — Semantic Matching Tool

On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 04:59:25PM +0530, Himanshu Jha wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I started to look at the context checking feature of smatch
> in check_locking.c
>
> Honestly, I'm not planning to deep-dive into the codebase
> and rather planning to test its capability. I have already
> tested sparse context imbalance but the problem with smatch
> is that I can't run it on a simple C test program.
>
> I tried the following:
>
> ~/progs/smatch/devel/smatch_scripts/kchecker test.c

The way to test is probably:

cp validation/sm_locking4.c test.c
./smatch -p=kernel test.c

> Does building cross function database help in context checking ?

Unfortunately the locking check is too out of date and doesn't take
advantage of the cross function DB.

> I have low spec machine(4GB RAM + 1TB HDD + i5) and IIRC when I
> tried smatch an year ago, rebooting was the only solution as it used
> hang.

That's really small but hopefully it doesn't still lock up.  :/  If it
does let me know and I will fix it.

> Also, I couldn't find the smatch archive(if there is any). The ones
> on sourceforge does not seem to be maintained ?

https://repo.or.cz/w/smatch.git

regards,
dan carpenter