Powered by Linux
smatch validation tests fail — Semantic Matching Tool

smatch validation tests fail

Dear Dan,

I started to look into porting smatch to be applicable to other code
bases and projects. When trying to get taint analysis working for Xen, I
also gave the validation tests of smatch a try and noticed that
user_data test 3 fails. I attached the relevant part of the log of my
call. Is that failure a known problem that I should ignore, or might
this bug explain why taint analysis for Xen is not working as it's
working for Linux (essentially, I added copy_from_guest where smatch
uses copy_from_user). This is what I executed:

git rev-parse --short HEAD
b787aa7
make check &> check.log; echo $?
2

Furthermore, I wonder whether smatch is sensitive to the current working
directory. While for Linux, gcc seems to be called from the repository
root each time, in Xen gcc is called next to the current source file. In
case I run smatch in addition to each Xen gcc call, the current working
directory will be different as well. Is that a problem for smatch, or
can I expect it to behave as for the kernel? Unfortunately, I did not
find anything about this behavior in the docs.

Thanks for any help!
Best,
Norbert
Amazon Development Center Germany GmbH
Berlin - Dresden - Aachen
main office: Krausenstr. 38, 10117 Berlin
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Dr. Ralf Herbrich, Christian Schlaeger
Ust-ID: DE289237879
Eingetragen am Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 149173 B