Powered by Linux
Hangs while building the cross function DB — Semantic Matching Tool

Hangs while building the cross function DB

Himanshu Jha had a question about hangs while building the cross
function DB.

Building the cross function DB used to hang my system for half an hour
but I kept tweaking it so now it's barely noticeable.  I have a quad
core with 32GB of RAM.  The problem is that Smatch is reading from the
warns.txt file and writing to smatch_db.sqlite file as fast as possible.
Both files are around 15-20GB.  This IO pattern is very hard on the
default Linux IO schedulers.

The BFQ scheduler is designed to fix these hangs, so your best bet is to
try that.
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/375600/how-to-enable-and-use-the-bfq-scheduler

regards,
dan carpenter