Powered by Linux
Re: [BUG] segfault when analysing powerpc kernel code — Semantic Matching Tool

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 01:58:11PM +1000, Andrew Donnellan wrote:
> Hit the following when attempting to build and check linux-next
> 20160422 with ARCH=powerpc, pseries_le_defconfig, x86->ppc64le gcc
> 4.8.3 crosscompiler. The dubious warnings are interesting, but I'm
> mostly concerned with the segfault at the end.
>
> This was with smatch master, but occurs with 1.60 as well.
>
> Unfortunately I don't have much time to look into this, but let me
> know if there's anything else I can provide.
>
> Please Cc on replies.

These warnings are like compile errors from Sparse.  They actually
happen before Smatch gets to the code...  Likely an include file isn't
getting included or something.

Could you do:

rm arch/powerpc/lib/xor_vmx.o
make V=1 C=1 CHECK="~/software/smatch/smatch -p=kernel" arch/powerpc/lib/xor_vmx.o 2>&1 | tee out.txt

Send me the out.txt.

make arch/powerpc/lib/xor_vmx.i

Send me the .i file.

And also could you try Sparse and see if it has the same compile issues
as well?  There is a an almost unmodified version shipped with Smatch so
it's simple.

rm arch/powerpc/lib/xor_vmx.o
make C=1 CHECK="~/software/smatch/sparse" arch/powerpc/lib/xor_vmx.o

regards,
dan carpenter