Powered by Linux
Re: Some minor tweaks — Semantic Matching Tool

Re: Some minor tweaks

Hello!

On Jun 24, 2015, at 6:05 PM, Rasmus Villemoes wrote:

> Hi Dan
>
> If and when you have time, can I get you to look at my misc_tweaks
> branch on github?
> <https://github.com/Villemoes/smatch/tree/misc_tweaks>. It is
> work-in-progress, but I'd like to hear if you hate it (or parts thereof)
> before doing more of the performance improvements.

I just noticed that these patches were adopted and they add this extra test in build_kernel_data.sh

-if [ -e $SCRIPT_DIR/../smatch ] ; then
+if [ -e $SCRIPT_DIR/../smatch -a -d kernel -a -d fs ] ; then

On the surface this looks fine - we are building a kernel so we should be in the kernel build dir, right?
But in reality it totally shuts down the door on any kernel code built "out of the tree" - that's it - the
external drivers and the like.
So I wonder if we could revert this particular part? Perhaps do it a separately with just a warning,
so when people try it in a random place they still see something useful but the script does not exit outright
due to this (but will if there's no makefile or whatever later on).

Upon further thinking, I wonder what happens with the function databases? I imagine when you build "out of tree",
the database generated during the actual tree building is not really used so genuine in-kernel functions
become "black boxes" with no internal logic information?
Any cool tricks on how to combine the two databases for such a situation?

Thanks

Bye,
    Oleg--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe smatch" in