Powered by Linux
%p extension checking — Semantic Matching Tool

%p extension checking

Hi,

As mentioned, I've been working on getting smatch to do type checking of
the various %p format extensions. The code is now on github
(https://github.com/Villemoes/smatch).

Note that this work revealed a bug in sparse's handling of string
literals coming from macro expansions
(http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.parsers.sparse/4080). I've applied
one of the suggested fixes, but it's still not clear to me what the
final fix will be in sparse upstream. Anyway, this was good enough to
get the ball rolling.

While developing this, I found it useful to only enable that specific
check (both to get smatch run faster and to get less noise in the
output), so there's also a few unrelated patches in the printf branch
implementing that feature.

sparse currently ignores attribute((format)), so the list of printf functions
has been extracted with a perl script and hard-coded. Even if sparse
understood attribute((format)), I wouldn't know how to set up a hook for
'call of function with this or that attribute'.

I don't think it's ready to be merged upstream (and whether that will
even happen is of course entirely up to Dan), but now it's out there for
people to play with. I have already sent patches for the four %p bugs
found, but there may be a few more lurking in arch/<not x86>/ - I don't
know how to pursuade the build system to go there.

Rasmus