Powered by Linux
Re: checking for uninitialized variables — Semantic Matching Tool

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 08:55:36AM -0800, Jörn Engel wrote:
> Personally I would even be happy to annotate call-by-reference
> parameters with something like __set and __unset.  If annotated with
> __set, callers can assume the parameter is initialized on function
> return and compilers can warn if the callee returns without initializing
> it.  __unset is the opposite, warn in the caller if the parameter wasn't
> previously initialized.

All that stuff is recorded in the smatch cross function database
already.  I think the main problem is that sometimes smatch says "Oh.
There are too many changes to deal with in this function, so I'm going
to ignore everything."  I have an idea for fixing that and then we can
see how it looks.

regards,
dan carpenter