Powered by Linux
Re: Regression in Smatch — Semantic Matching Tool

Re: Regression in Smatch

On 02/12/2014 05:51 PM, Dan Carpenter wrote:
On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 03:57:34PM -0600, Larry Finger wrote:
Dan,

As my version of Smatch did not show some of the warnings that you
reported to me earlier, I did a git pull and ran into a regression
that causes Smatch to run very slowly, and may have an infinite
loop. I bisected the problem and got the following:

Commit		Execution time
2c45218		35 sec
3ef1e73 	4 min 43 sec
d94be05		Not finished after 1 hour

Those are sequential commits. All of these were run on an otherwise
unloaded system on the current code in drivers/staging/rtl8188eu/.
The command used was

time make CHECK=~/smatch/smatch C=2 drivers/staging/rtl8188eu/

As you see, make used only a single CPU. None of the files needed to
be compiled.

I will be happy to test any fixes. For the moment, I am sticking
with commit 2c45218.

On my system there are 2 files which take 6 minutes to process, so 12
minutes total if you are building on 1 CPU.  Six minutes is sort of long
but it's endurable.  How much RAM do you have?  Perhaps you are
swapping, I can add a work around if we're running out of memory.

I have 3 GB. I reran the test with "make -j2" and got the following:

drivers/staging/rtl8188eu/os_dep/ioctl_linux.c:4403 rtw_dbg_port() Function too hairy. Giving up.

real    135m8.081s
user    220m11.645s
sys     1m55.307s

This time I was watching top while it ran. One of the routines that finished used ~80 min. The one that failed had used about 45 min, and it had a virtual memory footprint of 1.5 GB.

These times are not really endurable.

Larry