Powered by Linux
Re: smatch "unreachable code" — Semantic Matching Tool

Re: smatch "unreachable code"

Sure, I can put that part of the the "unreachable code" check under
--spammy.  The warning will still be triggered if someone sets a state.
These days probably there is a state change for almost every line of
regular C code.

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 08:26:34PM +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> The "unreachable code" info thing has gotten rather spammy even though
> you tried to print it less ... I get a ton on assembly stuff etc.

I haven't actually changed this for years, although I did yesterday but
I haven't pushed it yet.

> I've changed my copy as below but I have no idea if that's really
> useful. It still prints out genuinely unreachable code like
>
> if (blabla) {
>   return 12345;
>   printk(KERN_DEBUG "oohhh\n");
> }
>
> but stops printing things about assembly like
>
> arch/x86/include/asm/bitops.h:254 test_and_clear_bit() info: ignoring unreachable code.
> arch/x86/include/asm/preempt.h:79 __preempt_count_dec_and_test() info: ignoring unreachable code.

It's the asm goto that does it.  I should look for a real fix for this.
But in the mean time, what I did was added a
smatch_data/kernel.silenced_functions file so those functions won't
generate any output.

But I will apply your patch as well to just disable this part.

Also even for the --spammy output, I changed the code so it doesn't
warn about unreachable break statements and empty statements like
"return ;;".

regards,
dan carpenter