Re: draft-york-sipping-p-charge-info-12: ABNF

Brett,

On Nov 30, 2011, at 3:41 PM, Brett Tate wrote:

If charge-param remains within userinfo, generic-param should likely be changed to a more limited extention parameter since UTF8-NONASCII is not allowed within SIP-URI and tel URI because of escaping limitations.  RFC 3986 provides a mechanism for escaping UTF8-NONASCII within newer URI schemes.

DY> Do you have a suggestion for how I would change this to a more limited parameter within the ABNF?

DY> Alternatively, what if the ABNF remained as is but the formal syntax included a statement below the ABNF that UTF8-NONASCII is not allowed in the "generic-param" due to limitations in the SIP and tel URIs?    Would that not be sufficient enough for implementors to understand?

Thanks,
Dan

RFC 3261:

generic-param  =  token [ EQUAL gen-value ]

gen-value      =  token / host / quoted-string

quoted-string  =  SWS DQUOTE *(qdtext / quoted-pair ) DQUOTE

qdtext     =  LWS / %x21 / %x23-5B / %x5D-7E / UTF8-NONASCII

Dan York  dyork@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.danyork.com/   skype:danyork
Phone: +1-802-735-1624
Twitter - http://twitter.com/danyork