Re: [Sipping] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC3398 (2580)

Also,

The report is not complete - there are other examples in the document with the same bug.
If you're going to fix one of them by errata, you probably need to fix all of them.

I agree with "hold for document update". At the worst case, if something sends the CANCEL,
it's introducing traffic into a network that is too congested to handle the CANCEL. In the best case,
it introduces a message (and its retransmissions) that get ignored, or a single message that gets
an error response. (And for completeness, there is one situation that we traded-off to get
congestion protection that sending the cancel will actually improve - when you have lost the path
for responses to get back, but the requests (like the INVITE) was actually processed.)

So, the question that tips the balance on choosing between verify (for an amended report) and
"hold for document update" is, I believe, "Does this cause a deployment problem".

RjS