Re: [Sipping] Question on draft-ietf-sipping-v6-transition-07

Elwell, John wrote:
> Vijay,
>
> Thanks, but I was concerned that a domain name beginning with "." might be wrong; Taking the SIP ABNF as an example (SDP ABNF isn't so precise), we have:
>
> hostname         =  *( domainlabel "." ) toplabel [ "." ]

That would in fact be wrong, domain names cannot begin with '.'. In
addition, I'd recommend against allowing an 'invalid' name that does not
contain '.', because many systems (including my laptop) are configured
with default DNS search domains that are searched when names that
contain only one component are resolved. 'invalid' in my case would
search in at least two domains for 'invalid.xxx.yyy', which is not
helpful in the context of this draft.

Explicitly specifying 'this.is.invalid' or something similar seems to be
prudent in this case.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming@xxxxxxxxxx