Re: UPDATE during re-INVITE and related issues

Anton,

I don't think I understand you. Comments inline.

Anton Tveretin wrote:
Hi,
First, preconditions could (and IMHO SHOULD) be satisfied before re-INVITE. So anyway, they will be rolled back explicitly if re-INVITE fails. IMHO normal diagram for re-INVITE would look like this, am I right? (Adding a new stream)

IIUC, you are assuming that a session has already been established with one or more media streams before the below?

-->RSVP:Path
<--RSVP:Resv
-->RSVP:ResvConf

If these RSVP messages are for a contemplated new media stream, where are you sending them? You don't know where the media stream will terminate.

-->SIP:INVITE(offer);
<--SIP:180(no SDP)

I think the UAS can't return 180 until it knows the resources are available to establish the new stream.

<--RSVP:Path
-->SIP:PRACK
<--SIP:200 PRACK
-->RSVP:Resv
<--RSVP:ResvConf
---waiting for user to accept or reject new media---
<--SIP:200 INVITE(answer)
-->SIP:ACK
I mean, 1xx responses to re-INVITE should not contain SDP, as there is no reason.

The reason is so that the UAC will know if there will indeed be a new media stream, and where it will terminate. Until it knows that, how can it do the RSVP to reserve resources for the path?

I'll stop commenting here because without agreement on this its hard to talk about more.

	Thanks,
	Paul

Second, UPDATE easily goes into race conditions with re-INVITE. Recall Gao's diagram:
-->re-INVITE (F1)
<--1xx (F2)
<--UPDATE (F3)
F2 and F3 may be delivered out of order. So there will be no way to tell whether F1 or F3 came out first. This is also true even both re-INVITE and UPDATE were sent by the same UA. Only SDP versioning helps.
So UPDATE is not a part of re-INVITE transaction if it contained no SDP.
IMO everything that clearly is a part of re-INVITE transaction, must be rolled back.
Consider the following:
-->re-INVITE(offer1)
<--180(answer1)
-->PRACK
<--200 PRACK
-->UPDATE(offer2)
<--200 UPDATE(answer2)
<--603 INVITE
-->ACK
Still, UA at left might not commited the second O/A pair (if responses to the re-INVITE and UPDATE were re-ordered).
Regards