Re: Fwd: I-D Action:draft-johnston-sipping-batch-notify-00.txt

Salvatore,

Thanks for your comments on the draft.  See my responses below.

Thanks,
Alan

Salvatore Loreto wrote:
Hi Alan,

I have read the draft and it looks interesting  especially for Presence

  Aggregated presence servers within a domain could use an
  approach such as this to share presence information between them and
  to synchronize and transfer event state compositor information.

however it looks as the mechanism you are proposing is suitable for a one time fetch and not for monitoring
presence over time. isn't it?

No, if you leave out REQ-4, then it can be ongoing. We should state this more clearly and include a call flow showing this. There are, however, applications where a different mechanism (such as publication) will be used for ongoing state updates instead of this bulk notification for initial sync.

What would be interesting is to reuse a subscription between two servers to send the Notifies for X number
of presentities in that sip_dialog.

I'm not sure I follow - are you saying - could you explain more.

Moreover REQ-1 is about the max number of bodies in a notification and REQ-4 is to indicate that the full event state has been transferred That may be useful for applications where you have to know the full state of a notification before acting on the content: you divide a picture into several notifications and then concatenate the content
to get the full picture.

Right.

However in an RLS scenario, an RLS can send notifies independently if combining more presentities in one single notify makes the body to be too big. The only issue would be if a single data in a notification is too large, but then
the draft does not have a Requirement about it.

Right - this draft doesn't cover that case, but I believe yours, draft-niemi-sipping-event-throttle, would, right? I would imagine that both mechanisms would commonly be used together.

/Sal

Alan Johnston wrote:
All,

Here is a new I-D on the requirements and mechanisms for batch notifications in SIP. This relates to draft-niemi-sipping-event-throttle, so the timing is good.

Thanks,
Alan