Re: Comments on ID (SIP extensions for media control )

Title: Comments on ID (SIP extensions for media control )
OK... Here we go again...

Sam puts on his complete cynic's hat and is getting ready to go on a tirade and probably insult about half the community ... So Sam gets on both knees and begs forgiveness before he even starts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has been tried before............. in mmusic... Here is a link to the expired draft.  I was oneof the unfortunates that thought bringing SIP and RTSP together was a good idea.  Steve Whitehead actually thought that about a year earlier than me!!!!

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-whitehead-mmusic-sip-for-streaming-media-05

Why did RTSP get bundled in the sdp there and not sip updates well, when you do a trick play command you want fast response that is not bound to a 32 second SIP timeout... or have that hop about 10 record-route headers to get there!!!!!  RTSP seemed to do the job fine and we just needed SIP as a rendez-vous protocol to set up sessions and tear them down....

But I digress... I was not going to discuss anything technical

To the authors .... let me list some reasons... why it is absolutely in-essential for this to even happen... with tongue firmly in cheek (all capitalized words follow RFC2119)

1.  RTSP is fine by itself we dont need no stinking sip to set up video streams...
2.  If you say anything about how there are IMS networks... that may need this --  Well Sam stands up with a phone in his hand (any phone does not matter what kind)  --- Show me one IMS(not rfc 2119) deplyed phone that I can make a real call to!!!

My memory fails me on the other ones we got.....

The following are time lines that you will follow...

1.  Both 1 and 2 MAY occur about the 5th or 6th IETF meeting... so dont hold your breath till at the earliet ietf-79 in Atlanta
2.  You will argue for 79, 80 and 81 and may be even 82
3.  You will be asked for more real use cases around 82
4.  You will go to an interim meeting between 82 and 83 and try this again..

At this point there are differing possibilities

1.  You will get tired and cynical and say to hell with it and stuff what ever you want at the app layer as application/xml in the body and say it does not break SIp or any other protocol and go on your merry way
2.  You may have changed jobs and this is no longer of any relevance to you
3.  You will go to ATIS or TISPAN and define you protocol there after politicking there... with one vote per company that participates!!!

Geez... Have I left anybody out that I have not offended yet???

Anyway...   Good Luck in your endeavours

Sam
(Putting his flame suit on)